The history of Caversfield dates back to the time of the Roman Occupation. It is thought that the name was derived from Cafer, signifying an enclosure, a covered or protected place and -feld, the origin of the modern word field.
At the time of the Norman survey, Cafer-feld was included in the Hundred of Rovelai in Buckinghamshire, part of the Hundred of Buckinghamshire. Thus, the parish of Caversfield, although entirely surrounded by Oxfordshire, was included in the county of Buckinghamshire until the 19th century when by Acts of 1832 and 1844 it was transferred to Oxfordshire. The village is approximately 1 mile north of Bicester and is mainly situated between the B4100 and the A421.
There are approximately 1752 residents in Caversfield (Office National Statistics 2001) and it is made up of both UK residents and MOD personnel based at RAF Croughton. Caversfield does not have a local shop in the village itself but the shops of Southwold and Bure Park, Bicester, are within walking distance.
The village has a long history of association with the Air Force, particularly with RAF Bicester which is no longer operational. The airfield has been recognised as a Conservation Area by English Heritage and is one of the most important examples of a green airfield constructed between the first and second world wars.
The airfield and surrounding buildings is now owned and operated by Bicester Heritage and the airfield is currently leased to the Bicester Gliding Centre. The previous RAF Domestic site in Skimmingdish Lane is being redeveloped carefully and sympathetically by City and Country as ‘The Garden Quarter’ for residential use.
The amazing panoramic picture was taken by Jeremy Costello – see more of his work on his Facebook page